Wednesday 4 July 2012

The Mars Volta - Tremulant


Keeping with today's Hard Rock Calling theme, here is a record by the other band that I'm excited about seeing next Friday. The last few times I've seen The Mars Volta have all been amazing so I'm pretty sure they'll be good again. Their most recent album was very good, much better than the few that preceded it, and the first two are both incredible. This is their first EP, which I picked up in a very cool record shop in Melbourne that I can't quite remember the name of. It was a very cool shop though. I reckon I could find it again if I was in Melbourne, assuming it's still there. I would've spent a lot more money if I wasn't a student coming towards the end of term.

Cut That City starts off with an intro of quiet background noise, and then spends a minute scatting about before settling into a good song. Concertina is practically a single in comparison, which is saying a lot given their style and song-lengths. Eunuch Provocateur gives more of a glimpse of The Mars Volta to come - crazy, stretched out, technical songs. Short, but a good record.

The first time I saw The Mars Volta I didn't quite get them. It was at Reading Festival and their set only really consisted of two songs. I ended up buying their debut album at some point and loved it. I'm not sure why, given my live experience. I think people had just consistently raved about it. But it made me a fan of the band, and the second album added to that. Their LPs are always crazy-expensive, but this is a nice record to have. I also have a vinyl-only live album which is pretty lovely, I'll write about it sometime in the future.


Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 3
Cost: £6.88 new
Bought: Melbourne
When: 31/05/06
Colour: Marbled yellow
Etching: Side A:"Nursing a viper in Rome's bosom" Side B:"Relax bros. We're all badass actors here"
mp3s: no