Monday 9 June 2014

Manic Street Preachers - This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours [Picture-disc]


As a bonus post to the earlier one on the regular LP of This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours, here is the probably-bootleg Mexican picture-disc I mentioned. Back in those early days of record collecting, I found this picture-disc at a record fair in Southampton. The most notable thing about it is it's abridged tracklisting, finishing on Be Natural and skipping the final trio of Black Dog On My Shoulder, Nobody Loved You and S.Y.M.M. (the break appears after Tsunami rather than after I'm Not Working). I assume this is because picture-discs have less groove depth so require more width to sound better (or at least sound not-shit). The second most note-worthy thing is the Spanish writing in yellow around the edge of the second side giving some details about the release.

When I saw it at the record fair, I thought it was a strange release (mainly for the two reasons above), but I was quite keen to have the album on vinyl and thought it would be a nice addition to the collection (I also bought four MSP cd singles that day). Upon getting it home I discovered two more things - the edges had been well-thumbed and were incredibly crackly, and it was the most warped record I'd ever seen. My record player at the time was a smaller one that had 12" records hanging over two edges when playing and a lid that sort of sat over them when it was closed; this record was so warped that it touch the lid. Over a period of weeks I gradually laid more and more books on top of it and it eventually played fine. Twelve years of being in my collection has probably helped keep it in shape too.

Format: 12" picture-disc
Tracks: 10
Cost: £11 second hand
Bought: Record Fair, Southampton
When: 26/01/02
Colour: Picture-disc
Etching: none
mp3s: no