Sunday 30 November 2014

Dikembe - Broad Shoulders


Both times I've been to Fest I left having discovered so many excellent bands. The Sunday of the first of those two Fests was particularly exciting; I was pretty knackered after three-and-a-half days of watching bands and drinking so decided to hole up in Loosey's for the evening. Failures' Union were playing and I was keen to see them again. Beforehand were a band called Dikembe and afterwards was a band called Restorations. I'd heard of neither but both would shortly go on to completely blow me away. (As if that wasn't enough, on the way home we passed by Eight Seconds and ended up catching the end of The Underground Railroad to Candyland's set, which was also an excellent find. Beforehand all I wanted to do was sit down, but I couldn't tear myself away from that band.)

Anyway, I didn't buy any Dikembe records after their set but did make a mental note to check them out in the future. A year afterwards I finally did so by picking up their debut album, Broad Shoulders. I was ordering the new Run Forever album from the Tiny Engines website and was stocking up to make the most of the postage. I'd enjoyed their set so figured the album would be a safe bet. Luckily, it was as good as I remembered them.

There are some excellent songs throughout the album (like Librarians Would Kill For That Kind of Silence) but it's actually the sparse moments where there are just guitars and vocals like on Nothing, Stuff and Not Today, Angel that really make the album for me.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 10
Cost: £8.70 new
Bought: Tiny Engines website
When: 10/01/13
Colour: Light brown (/250)
Etching: Side A: "Take ya lemon and ya honey" Side B: "And get outta here!"
mp3s: Download code