Monday 12 January 2015

Palms - Palms


Palms is a collaboration between Chino from Deftones and some of guys from Isis; it was pretty clear from the outset that I was going to enjoy this record. I vaguely remember seeing a news article on Pitchfork about the band and a short while later my friend Hugh tweeted a picture of the LP. In October 2013, I stumbled across this copy in Banquet and would have snapped it up had it not been a rather pricey £22. I text Hugh to ask him if the album was actually any good and, moreover, if it was £22 good. His reply: "£16 good". By that point I was already out of the shop so thought little more about it. Six months later, the record reappeared in Banquet on a day when I had a £10 voucher from my loyalty card ready to spend, so I split it over two albums and got this one for a much more reasonable £17.

Nearly a year later, I'd go so far as to say that this LP is definitely £22 good. It ended up on pretty heavy rotation in 2014, particularly so on my iPod whilst at work - every time I'd scroll past it I'd think "Yeah, I could go for some Palms". It strikes that rare balance of music I can work well too - heavy enough that it drowns out the background noise but not so overwhelming that it distracts me. The moments that do do really grab your attention, like the chorus on Mission Sunset or Shortwave Radio, are so incredible that it's nice to take a moment away from the computer screen to enjoy them.

It's quite a lengthy and brooding album, and it's six songs are spread out over 45 minutes. Those slow beginnings pretty much always build to huge choruses though and Chino's voice sounds incredible as ever. It makes for a pretty lovely package, with both records on orange vinyl in a nice gatefold sleeve. I'm not sure I would have ever chanced £22 on it without hearing it first, but I'm glad I did buy it.

Format: Double 12", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 6
Cost: £17 new
Bought: Banquet Records
When: 22/03/14
Colour: Transparent orange
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code