Sunday 26 April 2015

Dirty Projectors - About To Die


Sometime I find I buy records just because I'm spending money; on the day I found this I'd picked up a couple of other records I fancied and just added this one to the pile. It's by no means an essential purchase and £7 for a four-song EP isn't exactly a bargain. That said, Dirty Projectors have been on a roll recently and their last two (proper) albums, Bitte Orca and Swing Lo Magellan, were both incredible. 

About to Die is a single from the second of those albums, sandwiched between the two highlights - Offspring Are Blank and Gun Has No Trigger. On the album then, About to Die never really caught my attention due to the strength of its neighbours, but it's a pretty good song. While You're Here isn't the most interesting song, but is apparently written about the death of the bassist from TV on the Radio. The two songs on the b-side both have more going for them, but show a simpler side of the band; the arrangements are more basic and it leaves room for the song to do the work.

Anyway, it's a nice enough EP but certainly isn't the sort of record that will change anyone's life. Despite it being second-hand the download card worked fine, much to my surprise. 

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 4
Cost: £7 second hand
Bought: Vinyl Exchange, Manchester
When: 18/05/14
Colour: Black
Etching: None
mp3s: Download