Saturday 16 May 2015

PJ Bond - You Didn't Know I Was Alphabetical


I've put this record on for the first time in a very long time and I'm enjoying it far more than I remember thinking I did. I think when I bought it I was massively underwhelmed and probably never gave it the chance to grow on me. At least I'm realising it now.

I first heard PJ Bond when he played CMC at Fest 2011 and it was a pretty lovely set (CMC is one of the hidden treats at Fest as far as venues go). A few weeks later he was playing in Kingston along with Great Cynics and Into It. Over It (and Broadway Calls, who I don't particularly care for. For £2 more than buying the ticket you could buy the ticket plus a copy of the Broadway calls EP Banquet were putting out so I went for that option. The record isn't one I play often). I had a nice time watching PJ Bond again and picked up this LP at the end of the night.

Upon first listen it wasn't what I expected - on record PJ Bond comes across much more like a folk musician than he does live. Or maybe it's because I've only ever seen him on punk bills that I assumed there'd be stronger hints of punk than folk? Anyway, the songs are nice and it's definitely the sort of album I could put on in the background when people are round (I've realised recently that I have very little music that fits this situation). "Good background music" is hardly the highest praise for a record but there's a time and a place for it. There are some strong highlights though - Stop Being Bad (despite the slightly cringe-worthy lyrics), Grow Your Smile Wide, You Know the Drill and No Theme Summer (which is possibly my favourite).

It's been good listening to this record critically after a while of not hearing it - a lot of good has shone through and I suspect I'll be listening to it more often now. Who knows, in a few months it might be my new favourite record.

Format: 12", a4 insert
Tracks: 11
Cost: £10 new
Bought: gig
When: 08/12/11
Colour: Blue
Etching: None
mp3s: Download