Sunday 28 June 2015

EMA - The Future's Void


I bought EMA's first LP, Past Life Matyred Saints, just after The Future's Void came out. I'd seen the new one in record shops and remembered that I'd been meaning to check her solo stuff out after having greatly enjoyed Gowns. I really enjoyed Past Life Matryed Saints and decided to pick up The Future's Void when I was in Truck Records one day last summer. A year has now passed and I still don't feel that this album has clicked with me anywhere near as much as the first did.

On the whole, I'd say that The Future's Void is a poppier affair and draws more comparisons to alt-pop artists like PJ Harvey and Tori Amos than it does to industrial music. The opener, Satellites, is pretty strong but I was really hoping it would go somewhere like The Grey Ship did on the last LP. So Blonde is probably the most jarring moment on the album for me, which is ironic since it's also EMA at her poppiest - the acoustic guitar just sounds odd to me. All that said, Cthulu is an incredible song and justifies putting the album on alone; it's everything I want from an EMA song.

The Future's Void is by no means a bad album, just one I don't enjoy as much as I wanted to.

Format: 12", picture sleeve, 24x12" insert
Tracks: 10
Cost: £19 new
Bought: Truck Store, Oxford
When: 06/09/14
Colour: Blue
Etching: None
mp3s: Download