Saturday 16 January 2016

Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life


The Chemistry of Common Life was the first Fucked Up record I heard. The band's live reputation had long preceded them and for a fairly long time they were one of those bands everyone raved about. I eventually saw them supporting Gallows in Cardiff University; one housemate was a huge Gallows fan, another a huge Fucked Up fan and Alex and I went along because we knew at very least we'd enjoy the show and it was just around the corner from our house. I was very impressed by Fucked Up and now try to see them each time I can - they're a reliably incredible live band and, in the right venue (The Peel in Kingston, for example), they can be unbelievable.

A few months after that first show, The Chemistry of Common Life came out. Someone in the house had a copy and it was proving a divisive album - Black Albino Bones being one of the most hotly discussed topics. Personally I quite enjoyed the addition of Dallas Green's vocals and the way the band were inventing and experimenting on top of traditional hardcore really appealed to me. I picked up this copy in Spillers (as my Tuesday record for that week) a few weeks later.

For me, The Chemistry of Common Life is the beginning of the Fucked Up I know. I'd never really listened to their earlier material, so this was all I knew and I liked it (of course, David Comes to Life came out and blew me away even further). There are songs that have gone on to be live favourites of mine - I get so excited when they start playing Son the Father, No EpiphanyBlack Albino Bones or Twice Born. The album has some huge choruses, which is good because it's near impossible to sing along with Damian to the verses; they make for some great moments of crowd participation during shows. The final side of the record makes for interesting listening on it's own - the slow build-up of Looking For God and the whispered and explosive start to the 8-minute long title-track where the guitars practically sing the chorus. It's quite the way to close an album.

I had completely forgotten that the LP contains a vinyl-only bonus track in the middle of the album, The Peaceable Kingdom. It's a rare treat to get vinyl-only bonus tracks, but I know the band are fans of the format (particularly 7"s) so I can see why it's there. It's a good song too - reminds me of I Hate Summer in its style. On top of that, it's a very nice double vinyl package. In fact, the Fucked Up section of my record collection looks great due to their wide, white spines and bold font.

Format: Double 12", gatefold sleeve, 12x24" poster
Tracks: 12
Cost: £13 new
Bought: Spillers
When: 19/11/08
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no