Saturday 5 March 2016

Turbonegro - Party Animals


I remember reading some scathing reviews of Turbonegro's post-Apocalypse Dudes albums. When I got into the band, they'd already released Scandinavian Leather and Party Animals and I just accepted them as Turbonegro albums; I wasn't aware of all the break-ups and reunions and line-up changes. Moreover, City of Satan was one of my favourite Turbonegro songs. I wasn't sure why I knew it, but I remember hearing on someone's stereo at Roskilde, but being reasonably sure it was Turbonegro and thinking it was great. Drinking in the sun in Denmark is definitely improved by Turbonegro.

The rest of the album has some great Turbonegro moments too - All My Friends Are Dead is a great intro (I once saw The Arteries cover it, which worked very well) and Wasted Again, Babylon Forever and Final Warning are all really enjoyable. If You See Kaye is one of those annoying songs that makes you just want to skip it, but they can't all be winners - it's a classic mistake to have a joke as a chorus, but it wears very thin very quickly when you hear it 8 times in one song. There's definitely something different on these later albums to the earlier material that I can't quite put my finger on; the ideas seem simpler and less exciting, but the strings and arrangements and production makes them seem bigger. In fact, it's almost like they were trying to be taken more seriously by having the high-production values, but no one listens to Turbonegro to hear a serious band. I'd certainly agree it's not the finest example of the band's work, but it's still enjoyable.

I picked this LP up in HMV in Basingstoke along with the excellent I'll Sleep When You're Dead by El-P. Both were very pleasant surprises to find in a chain record shop in a large shopping centre (which, at the time, had just a few boxes of records). On top of that, it was only a tenner, which was already something of a bargain for a new LP. Included in the package is a "cut out and play party animals" kit, featuring the band members in ridiculous costumes, which is exactly the level of seriousness I want from a Turbonegro LP.

Format: 12", gatefold sleeve, picture sleeve, insert
Tracks: 12
Cost: £10 new
Bought: HMV Basingstoke
When: 01/07/07
Colour: Clear
Etching: none
mp3s: no