Saturday 2 April 2016

The Loved Ones - Keep Your Heart


There was a lot of buzz around The Loved Ones when they came to play Newport, probably because of the Paint It Black connection (something that was lost on me until recently). I hadn't heard of them before that point, but everyone was going and I figured I'd enjoy the show. I had fun, enough to make me buy the LP (the fact it was only a fiver helped). It's a nice enough punk record, but nothing particularly makes me want to play it all that often. There are a few highlights - Suture Self, Breathe In and Living Will (Get You Dead). 

I figured the band were on to big things, but they kinda just faded away after their second album as the singer, Dave Hause, put more effort into his solo career. I've never really enjoyed his solo stuff, despite having seen him a few times (the Dave House vs Dave Hause show in Kingston was pretty awesome, but mostly for the non-Hause moments). I think the theme here tends to be that there's nothing about his music that especially stands out from other music of a similar style. Or maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 13
Cost: £5 new
Bought: gig
When: 09/11/07
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no