Sunday 12 June 2016

Shit & Shine - You're Lucky to Have Friends Like Us


I think I liked the idea of Shit & Shine despite having never actually heard them. I remember seeing that they'd done a Latitudes session, which was probably when I first heard their name. A while later I saw that they were playing London and the rough description including the words "noise" and "two drummers" appealed to me. In the end, I didn't go see them (because I'm lazy) but didn't forget about them.

Some years later I was record shopping in Manchester and found this second-hand copy of their first album for £10 in a second-hand record shop. I'm not sure I'd ever seen any of their music in a shop before, let alone a limited edition copy on vinyl (only 500 pressed). Some retrospective browsing of Discogs shows that it's not that hard to come by, but it was a pleasant find. Still having never heard them, I bought it and excitedly played it when I got home.

The sad news in this tale is that album is barely listenable, which is something I imagine they're quite proud of. I thought I'd get more out of it than I have, but there's really not much enjoyment to be had. I like noise but I have my limits. Shit & Shine exist wholly in a world beyond those limits (or perhaps I like a certain, soft-core version and noise and have no interest in this part of the genre). I've not played the record very much and I should probably feel guilty for that, but I really doubt I'll ever get anything out of this album. There is little across the 18 tracks that you could call a song, and the result isn't remotely pleasant on the ears. On the rare occasion you can hear an actual instrument, it's played in a fairly painful, horrible way. It's a shame, but a reminder that there are advantages to be in had in listening to bands before buying any of their music. The highlight for me is the brief sample of the Countdown clock, which says a lot about the album.

Format: 12", clear sleeve, a4 insert
Tracks: 18
Cost: £10 second-hand
Bought: Vinyl Exchange Manchester
When: 18/05/14
Colour: White
Etching: None
mp3s: No