Tuesday 19 July 2016

This Bike is a Pipe Bomb - Front Seat Solidarity


This Bike is a Pipe Bomb were on that long list of bands I'd heard of but never heard. At Fest a couple of years ago I found a handful of their albums second-hand in the No Idea record shop, Arrow's Aim. I figured for $8 is was worth a go.

I had no idea what to expect of the band when the needle first hit the record. I knew they were on No Idea, which narrows things down a bit. On the surface the music comes across as quite simple upbeat punk - they remind me a lot of The Underground Railroad to Candyland in that respect. However, the lyrics are quite full-on and dark in places; Body Count and Forgotten Not Gone are perfect examples of that contrast between the music and the lyrics. In that respect you could draw comparisons to RVIVR or Bridge and Tunnel.

As far as discoveries go, I enjoy TBIAPB but they're not my new favourite band. The style of music is fun but sometimes jarring not always what I want to be listening to. I think it might pre-date mp3 download codes, so not having the mp3s doesn't help how often it gets played.

Format: 12", a4 insert
Tracks: 14
Cost: £5.60 second-hand
Bought: Arrow's Aim Records, Gainesville
When: 04/11/13
Colour: Gray marble
Etching: Side A: "You look good" Side B: "Indeed"
mp3s: no