Monday 1 May 2017

One Last Wish - 1986


I bought this album towards the end of the Tuesday-record-from-Spillers year. I almost certainly had never heard of One Last Wish before going into the shop that day (were they mentioned in Our Band Could Be Your Life? Even if they were, I doubt that registered at the time). I can't remember perfectly, but I strongly suspect the sticker Spillers had written on the sleeve said something about them being a legendary hardcore/emo band featuring members of Fugazi and Rites of Spring, which was definitely sufficient to get my interest.

1986 was recorded in 1986, released on cd on Dischord in 1999 and then got reissued on vinyl in 2008, which is when I got it. I'd got the Rites of Spring album two years before (after hearing a song on an NME compilation (!) that my friend gave me - the theme was bands that Kurt Cobain liked) and was pleased that One Last Wish sounded similar. That said, over the years, I've found myself turning to Rites of Spring more often than One Last Wish. 1986 is a solid record, but has fewer stand out moments (Loss Like a Seed is strong, as is One Last Wish). Guy's vocals are a highlight in general - they're very distinctive and passionate, which I like.

Very broadly, there feels like there's a few less-heavy influences mixed into their sound. It almost feels at times like someone took 95% Rites of Spring and 5% Beach Boys, if that's not a completely ridiculous thing to say; it works quite well.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 12
Cost: £9 new
Bought: Spillers Records
When: 02/12/08
Colour: Black
Etching: Side A: "R.I.P. Rodrigo Rjoas de Negri" Side B: "O.L.W. = B.W."
mp3s: Download code