Friday 2 March 2018

Electric Wizard - Time to Die


Time to Die, Electric Wizard's eighth album, was the fourth of theirs I heard. I'd started strong on Dopethrone, then got Let Us Prey and Black Masses. I was really enjoying what I'd heard and had a great time seeing them live. I'm not a huge metal fan, but every now and again a band has a huge impact on me. Electric Wizard is one of those bands.

A few months after it came out I found this copy of Time to Die in Spillers Records when I was back in Cardiff for the weekend. I think I knew they'd released a new one, but hadn't had a chance to pick up a copy. At that point I was more of a casual fan gradually buying albums as-and-when. I was certainly pleased to have a chance to buy it without needing to order it, although knowing there were probably more exciting colours out there was a bit of a shame (I think it got reissued for Record Store Day shortly afterwards too).

A month and a half later I placed Time to Die as my third favourite album that year (behind Thee Silver Mt. Zion and Shellac - it was a strong year). A month and a half isn't a long time, but I knew two things: it was a truly great Electric Wizard album and a truly great album in general. I don't know the generally accepted ranking of Electric Wizard's albums (beyond Dopethrone and Come My Fanatics competing for the top places) but I certainly consider this one of their best and would recommend it, along with those two, to anyone getting into the band.

The opening duo that make up side 1 are incredible - both amazingly memorable, slow and brutal. The riff on the title track is great and carries the song out brilliantly. It captures everything I want from the band in one go and Jus's vocal are perfect. I'm listening to it pretty loud, but I keep wanting it to be louder - it's the sort of song that needs to take over everything. I Am Nothing is a huge slab of bleakness (which isn't a criticism) and the instrumental Destroy Those Who Love God isn't just filler, as you might expect it to be. We Love the Dead also has some incredible guitars that really make the song and effects on Lucifer's Slaves are brilliantly psychedelic.

I've listened to Time to Die a lot over the last few years and I still love it. I've over-played Dopethrone a bit so it's become a go-to Electric Wizard album on my iPod (I'm missing mp3s for a lot of their albums). Every now and again you want an album to pummel you into despair, and Time to Die will certainly do that in the best possible way.

Format: Double 12", gatefold, picture sleeves, poster
Tracks: 9
Cost: £21 new
Bought: Spillers Records, Cardiff
When: 15/11/14
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code