Wednesday 25 July 2018

Chuck Ragan - 'Til Midnight


This is the fourteenth Chuck Ragan record I've written about on here, so you all know the drill by now. The interesting thing about this record is that it remains the last proper/traditional album Chuck has released - now four years and counting (I'm not including The Flame and the Flood here, although it is an excellent record). For a long time, Chuck was redefining the word "prolific" in the quantity of music he was putting out. 2011-2014 showed a marked slow-down in this rate, with only this album and the Live at Skaters' Palace live album. Since then, we've barely heard from him at all, and seen him tour even less often. I suspect he's busy being father, but I hope for more music at some point.

'Til Midnight is his fourth LP, and continues fairly seamlessly where Covering Ground left off, but I'd say is an even better album than it - the songs are full, well-rounded and feel like they were written with the band in mind. Something May Catch Fire is a huge song, the closest thing to a "classic" since Glory on Gold Country, and Non-Typical is similarly great. Side B starts out strong too with Gave My Heart Out and You and I Alone is surprisingly energetic for a song squirrelled away so late in the album. The drums on the closer For All We Care are perfect and create an epic way to finish off the album.

The sad thing is that without seeing him live so often (I've only seen him play solo once since this album came out) these songs haven't had the chance to become live favourites; I'd like to hear them in that setting and give them the chance to shine.

Format: 12", gatefold sleeve, insert
Tracks: 11
Cost: £11 new
Bought: Banquet Records, Kingston
When: 21/04/14
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code