Wednesday 1 May 2019

United Nations - The Next Four Years


I wrote about how I got into United Nations a few years ago when I wrote about their Never Mind the Bombings Here's Your Six Figures 7". A year after seeing them (and being blown away by them) and buying that 7", I bought this LP when I was putting in an order with Temporary Residence for the new Mono (double) album. I always found the idea of United Nations being on Temporary Residence very strange, although I guess they also release Envy's albums so maybe this band isn't a million miles from what they usually put out. Plus, Envy did that split with Thursday, so there's a connection there too.

The album is a compilation of four 7" records and uses that to adapt Black Flag's much-borrowed title for the name; the significance of the "next four years" and the length American political terms is not lost. The strongest songs are probably the first two, from the Serious Business 7" - the title track is perfect and Meanwhile on Main Street uses a vocal effect I remember Thursday using a bit, before cutting straight back into the death metal vocals; the juxtaposition is what makes it so good. The songs from Revolutions at Varying Speeds feel thrashier and rougher the edges. False Flags in particular is pure thrash with no relief. On the songs from United Nations Vs. United Nations they're experimenting more and I like the results - the layered vocals on Stole the Past are excellent and the title track has a moment to breathe, something that doesn't happen often. The closer, Music For Changing Parties, is another highlight.

United Nations are definitely heavier than a lot of music I normally listen to, but when I need something like this (and this is the sort of music you sometimes need) it hits the spot firmly and squarely. It's good to have albums like this.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 11
Cost: £20 new
Bought: Temporary Residence website
When: 29/10/14
Colour: Half white, half black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code