Monday 1 July 2019

Final Fantasy - Spectrum, 14th Century


On August 2nd 2009 I saw Owen Pallett for the first time, or Final Fantasy, as he was known back then (the flyer for the show has been inside this sleeve since that day). I've been to a lot of gigs in my time, but that one was particularly memorable for a number of reasons - his set was incredible; I'd never seen one man get so much out of one instrument; the venue was lovely; the applause was so great that he agreed to play a few more songs in car park after the show finished - I've never known so many people be so silent so that everyone could hear his unplugged violin and voice.

At the end of the show (and before the after-show) I bought this 10" record from the merch table. They also had the Plays to Please 10" which I've still not heard. I can't remember why I picked this one, but I did based on no information. I guess I liked the cover. Anyway, it's a nice EP. It's loosely related to his 2010 album Heartland and musically I'd say they're quite similar too. Most notably, neither have as many stand-out moments as the albums around them - around this time he seemed to be writing very nice but ultimately very similar songs; the closer The Ballad of No Face is the only one that really stays with you after the record is over. It's a nice EP though.

Format: 10", booklet
Tracks: 5
Cost: £10 new
Bought: Gig, Cardiff
When: 02/08/09
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code