Saturday 2 November 2019

Manic Street Preachers - International Blue


To get a copy of this 7", I had to buy a copy of the white vinyl pressing of Resistance is Futile from an independent record shop. I'm all for spending money with independent record shops, but did have some trouble finding a shop with enough stock - it seemed to run out as soon as shops said they had stock and some shops had certain rules, like only over-the-counter orders. In the end I got it from Jumbo Records in Leeds, who I may have visited in the past, but can't say for sure. Looking at Discogs now, it wouldn't have been too hard to pick one up after the fact, but I wanted to make sure I got a copy.

I'd already ordered the "collectors" package for the new Manics album the day they announced it, which included the album on black and red vinyl (that's one on black vinyl, and another copy on red vinyl, not "black and red" vinyl), as well as the album on double cd, regular cd and cassette. I probably would have bought all the variants over time, so it's just easier to buy them all up front. What is one extra copy after all those (I sincerely hope they got to count that as five separate album sales)? Some might say it's strange to have a copy released that isn't in the "collectors" bundle, but after buying nearly 200 different Manics releases I really can't be bothered splitting hairs about this.

Anyway, I was pleased to have a 7" of the only single from the album that got a physical release. Digital-only singles are basically pointless, except from a streaming-sales-on-chart-position point of view. But the bigger concern is the lack of b-sides, which is most of the reason I have a Manics collection in the first place. There exists one b-side from Resistance is Futile, which is a terrible shame (there are some Japanese bonus tracks I'm yet to get, so I guess they count). That b-side is called Holding Patterns. It's a nice song, Christmassy somehow with an unexpected guitar solo. It would have been a fine song on the album, but not essential.

The a-side however is worth dwelling on. International Blue is an instant classic with a huge riff and a great reminder of why they're such a good band - the fact that they can drop a song like this after 30 years and it just does everything you want a Manics song to do is really incredible. Comparing it to Motorcycle Emptiness, as they did when it came is a bit of stretch but only a bit, which says a lot (I can see why they made the comparison too). It is soaring and triumphant, and makes me so happy to be a fan.

Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £5 new
Bought: Jumbo Records website
When: 13/03/18
Colour: Transparent blue
Etching: none
mp3s: none