Sunday 15 March 2020

Dave House - See That No One Else Escapes


See That No One Else Escapes was the first Dave House album I bought. Six months later I bought his debut solo album, Kingston's Current, on my first ever trip to Kingston. I'm still yet to pick up a copy of his third and final solo album, although I really should. I suspect I'll enjoy it.

I bought this album after seeing Dave support Lemuria in Bar Sigma in Swansea the summer before I left South Wales for London. The Arteries played too. I've got a feeling the poster for that show was great, and a few people I know had copies of it up on their walls. Possibly involving a swan? I enjoyed Dave's set and asked him which album I should pick up after the show. He suggested this one and sold it to me for £5, a bargain by any measure.

My first impression was that it was more mellow than I remember his set being, but I wonder if the songs took a more punk edge given the setting and the bands on the bill. All D's No Future is the first song on the album that has anything punk to it, but Trafalgar Square to Anywhere shows that his songs could be great without being heavy - the chorus there is perfect. For an Afternoon could easily fit on the first Frank Turner record (I remember Frank blocking my view for a lot of the time at the Dave House vs Dave Hause show in The Fighting Cocks in 2011; that guy is tall) and Old Girl Back made me think about The Klaxons for the first time in at least a decade.

Over the years, it's had far fewer plays than Kingston's Current, but that's mostly because I have mp3s of that album but not this one, and it has the title-track, which is a really incredible song that I still can't get enough of. I should give this one more time though. It's generally a bit softer, but the violins (which feature in a lot of the songs) really add to those songs, and actually some of the highlights of Kingston's Current are the softer songs too.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 11
Cost: £5 new
Bought: Gig, Swansea
When: 10/06/09
Colour: Grey marble swirl
Etching: none
mp3s: none