Saturday 18 April 2020

Misfits - Legacy of Brutality


When I started writing this entry, I had a quick look at the release on Discogs and it looks like this second-hand, first pressing is worth about £50, which is considerably more than the £9 I paid for it one Saturday afternoon in Damaged. I can only imagine Welly didn't know it was of any real value - this was before Discogs was the resource it is now. There are coloured vinyl pressings that sell for much, much more, so I guess they're the ones people get really excited about. It was December, so the final instalment of my monthly-record-from-Damaged year and I'd covered a good selection of the punk that he stocked in there - older staples like Husker Du, Descendants, the Minutemen and Fugazi and newer bands like The Draft, Hot Water Music and The Loved Ones; I figured this was a worthy addition in the older staples category.

The first thing you notice about this record of how terrible it sounds. It's not a fault of the vinyl, it's just incredibly shittily recorded. But that's part of the charm - when you have songs like these, who needs production. I knew a bunch of these songs from covers I had, but that still doesn't really prepare for just how solid these songs are - Angelfuck, Where Eagles Dare, Hallowen, Hybrid Moments and Some Kind of Hate are all huge. Ridiculously huge songs. I think I have covers of all of them in my collection. Who wouldn't want to play those songs?

Despite all that, I've never bought another Misfits record. I just can't see myself getting any more enjoyment from their other albums than I get from this one.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 13
Cost: £9 second-hand
Bought: Damaged, Cardiff
When: 20/12/08
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no