Tuesday 17 November 2020

Art of Burning Water - Between Life and Nowhere


I never expected to enjoy Art of Burning Water's Love You Dead anywhere near as much as I did. In fact, it ended up being one of the best records I heard that year and so, when my brother text me asking if there was anything I wanted for Christmas, I sent him a link to this record which he kindly bought for me. It might be the least festive record I own.

I never quite got into this album as much as I did Love You Dead, I'm not sure why. There are certainly fewer doomier, sludgier moments here - Between Life and Nowhere has a lot more thrash and hardcore going on. At 20-minutes long, they don't leave themselves much time to do anything slower, although Voivodian Solutions to Die Kreuzian Problems does get a bit of a groove going towards the end, as does the follow-up, Alesha. I say that, but I can't say with any certainty which song is which, as they decided against putting any spaces in the grooves between tracks - something I can't decide is awesome or really annoying. I certainly think "that's badass" when I look at it, but curse them when trying to work out which song I'm listening to; the former happens more than the latter.

I still only own two AoBW records, but I'd definitely buy more if I ever saw them. I guess I'm just going to the wrong shops.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 10
Cost: free, new
Bought: Gift
When: 30/12/16
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: none