Friday 27 April 2012

Rocket From the Crypt - Paint as a Fragrance




I bought this record from Hugh. I imagine it was one of those many times when he was selling off half his record collection to pay a bill (not that this is a place to discuss his finances). All I can really remember was that it was while we were living in Cardiff. I think he'd bought it not that long before, possibly from Kai, possibly with a whole bunch of other records. Anyway, there's no particularly exciting story to go with it. I'd got the live album R.I.P. for Christmas and the song Velvet Touch caught my ear. I think that's probably why I ended up buying it from Hugh.

The record isn't in great condition, but I imagine its had at least four owners, possibly even more since its been knocking around since 1991. The sleeve is looking fairly healthy all considering. If it ever had an insert, in doesn't anymore. The first side pops and crackles in that way that people love, but actually kinda makes them wish the record had been taken better care of.

Musically, its got some tunes (French Guy, Velvet Touch, Stinker). If it was a cd I'd skip Basturds pretty much everytime. That song does nothing for me. And it is very different to their later albums. I don't know Circa Now except for a couple of songs, but Hot Charity and Scream Dracula Scream are certainly a change (although awesome in their own way - I remember when On a Rope came out. I was only 10 at the time and my sister wanted to buy the single but didn't in the end because it was only on cd and we couldn't play those in the car. I still love that song. A couple of years back they played it a silent disco I was at to the great joy of my friends and I. I should probably stop ranting about On a Rope, but I don't have any other RFTC vinyl, so this is my only chance to do so. Massive tune).

It's another short record. In fact they all have been so far. At some point I'm going to have to make some time to sit down with some of the double and triple (and the one quadruple and one quintuple) LPs I have. Not this week though. I don't have the time. Unfortunately.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 10
Cost: £7 second hand
Bought: Hugh
When: 01/04/09
Colour: black
Etching: none
mp3s: no