Wednesday 25 April 2012

Slint - Spiderland


There's not much to be said about this record that hasn't already been said elsewhere. I think we'll all agree its a classic. I often forget how much I like it and end up not listening to it for ages, then remembering and playing it loads. Good Morning, Captain is my favourite (Washer is good too). I think that's why I want to listen to it again when I've just finished - it leaves me thinking how awesome it is. There's a lot to be said for a strong closer on an album.

I bought this during the Tuesday Record From Spillers year (a year in which I went to Spillers every Tuesday to buy a record). What often happened was I'd see a record there a couple of weeks in a row and read about it when I got back to work. I'd certainly discovered Pitchfork by then (something which I think happened that year) so I'd read about it on various lists of great albums. I'm pretty sure Aled who I worked with had probably raved about it by then too. Somehow it wasn't on my list of records to buy immediately. The stock would vary each week and if there was something I really wanted or looked particularly exciting I'd get that. I must have flicked by this record loads of times but found nothing else I was after the week I bought it. I'm glad I did. It's quite a slow-burner, but I like it.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 6
Cost: £9 new
Bought: Spillers
When: 14/10/08
Colour: black
Etching: none
mp3s: no