Saturday 23 February 2013

Deftones - Minerva


I saw Deftones on Wednesday and they were ace, as they always are. I've lost count how many times I've seen them play now (in Brixton Academy alone!) and I love that I get to see one of my favourite bands so often. I'll save my gripes about the sound in the Academy for another time, because it's much more fun to write about how great Deftones are. On top of that, I get the impression they're really nice guys; I'd love to sit down and chat about metal with Stephen and convince Sergio that Quicksand should play the UK again. They could invite Jonah too, because they're all good friends and Jonah's a nice guy. But that strange fantasy aside, I should write a little about this record. For some lengthier thoughts about the band, there's a post I wrote about the White Pony double vinyl here.

I picked up the Minerva 7" (and the cd) the morning the single came out shortly before the end of college and my A-level exams. A week later the self-titled album came out and I eagerly picked up that too. I remember having a few free periods on a Monday afternoon, so I went home, played the album very loudly and returned to college for my later classes. I enjoyed it but over the years it hasn't stood up against White Pony.

I'm pretty sure the video for Minerva had been on heavy rotation for weeks on MTV so I already knew it well. It was an instant classic Deftones song - the gentle start into the crushing guitars and Chino's floating vocal. The b-side, Sinatra, is a Helmet cover that made it onto the B-Sides and Rarities album. Helmet are a band I simply haven't got round to getting into yet. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy them simply based on the bands who consider them an influence. Maybe that can be a goal for the year: get into Helmet. Anyway, it's a nice song (a great bass line and done in Deftones heavy-yet-quiet style), but doesn't make the 7" an essential purchase. Still, for £1 you can hardly complain - 2003 was definitely in that golden era when 7"s were a great bargain.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £1 new
Bought: HMV Winchester
When: 12/05/03
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no