Saturday 9 March 2013

Manic Street Preachers + The Fatima Mansions - Theme from M.A.S.H. (Suicide is Painless) / Everything I Do (I Do it For You)


Whilst it was the Motorcycle Emptiness single that I feel made me the record collector I am today, it was the search for this record that led me to find Motorcycle Emptiness, so it's a pretty significant record in that respect.

I read a few books on the Manics when I was becoming a huge fan and had read about this charity single featuring the Manics and another band, The Fatima Mansions, playing covers. Despite having never seen M.A.S.H., nor heard the theme song, I wanted to hear the Manics version. I think at that point the only song I'd heard the Manics cover was Damn Dog on Generation Terrorists, so I guess it was partly my desire to hear them take on other people's songs that made me want to hear it. On top of that, it was an early Manics song, and that time in their career was undeniably cool. 

Two years after buying the Motorcycle Emptiness 7" I found this 12" on an otherwise not-particularly-noteworthy record shopping trip to Bournemouth. I remember being ecstatic to see it on the wall, and in such good condition given its age. Unfortunately as I was getting off the bus home from the train station I dropped the bag it was in, slightly denting the top right corner; I was mad at myself for days because of that. I was pleased however that it was 12" rather than the 7" I'd originally been after because of the inclusion of Sleeping with the N.M.E., which is a fascinating piece of history - more on that shortly.

Suicide is Painless is an incredible song and the Manics take it on brilliantly. In fact it's probably one of my favourite examples of James Dean Bradfield's vocals. Naturally, it's noticeably different to the style of Generation Terrorists but they still make it their own; the final chorus after the brief solo pairs the thrashing guitars and piano fantastically. 

The Fatima Mansions (who are a band I know nothing about, nor have much desire to find out more) play a very strange 90's dub cover of Bryan Adams' Everything I Do (I Do it For You), which works if that's your kind of thing. It doesn't do an awful lot for me (the original version was the very first piece of music I ever bought at the age of 6 after having seen Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (which was also the first film I ever saw at the cinema). I was one of the many people who kept that song at number 1 in the UK charts for 16 weeks).

The second song on the b-side is called Sleeping with the N.M.E. and documents the conversations in the N.M.E. offices the morning after the famous "4 real" incident (in which Richey carved the words "4 real" into his arm after an interview with Steve Lamacq). After a quick summary, the debate turns to whether they can print the picture (of course, hearing this now twenty years after the event, we know that they did). The picture is pretty gruesome (particularly when you notice how wide the cut is at the top of the "4") and everyone (including a young Mary-Anne Hobbs) has varying opinions. It's not something I listen to often, but it's a fascinating glimpse into the havoc that one event caused.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the a-side of this single has always been (and still is) worth every penny of the £12 I spent on it alone, and the b-sides are what they are. I'm very glad to have this record in the collection.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 3
Cost: £12 second hand
Bought: Bournemouth
When: 30/05/02
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no