Wednesday 27 March 2013

Vex Red - Can't Smile


The final entry in Vex Red day is this 7". Can't Smile was definitely my favourite Vex Red song back in the day, and I'm pretty it was their most popular song. The verses were particularly bare so the choruses seemed even more impressive and then, towards the end, the song drifts into this outro about smoking weed (or rather about not smoking) despite the song being about not smiling. Maybe there is a link but I don't know what it is.

I remember not being in any rush to buy this single, but at the end of a long day record shopping in Southampton I found it in the Virgin Megastore shrink wrapped way too tightly and mostly bought it because I wanted to flatten out the sleeve. Strange, I know, but I didn't like seeing it all warped out of shape. Nowadays it's perfectly flat and largely ignored in my box of 7"s. It's a shame to be so indifferent about a band I used to love so much, but I guess these things happen. Maybe one day I'll play it again and get more from it than just nice memories of being at college.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £1.50 new
Bought: Virgin Megastore, Southampton
When: 10/04/02
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no