Thursday 22 August 2013

Cowboy Killers - Sweet


As I mentioned just now, I did briefly own two copies of Dub War's split with Cowboy Killers. A year after I'd bought my copy, another appeared on eBay. For a record that must have had a very small print run indeed, I was very surprised to see it again so soon. The difference with this auction was that they were throwing in a copy of Sweet by Cowboy Killers on 7" too. So amazed to see the record again, I put a bid in and decided to give the other copy to my friend Hugh. He was a Dub War fan too, and had been amused when I played him Cowboy Killers' cover of Deeply Dippy, so figured he'd enjoy it. I decided I'd keep the 7" myself. I had no plans on seeking out any of their other records, but I figured it would complement my Dub War split nicely.

This one-sided 7" is a promo from their album that was due to come out in February 1998 on T.J.'s Records. I've spent many a night in T.J.'s and had no idea they ever put out any records until I came to write about this 7". The sleeve is a pain white 7" with a folded piece of a4 paper inside it, so that the logo shows through the hole. Also inside is a small Christmas card that looks like, and probably was, drawn by a child. The b-side is etched with what I think says "I no I tall person Elvis 77". I suspect this was actually done by hand because it's barely legible, goes across the entire record and is different to what this one on Discogs claims to have. The song is nice enough, and strangely catchy. Again, think Dead Kennedys.

So not a Dub War record, but too closely related to not be included in Dub War week.


Format: 7", folded a4 insert, Christmas card
Tracks: 1
Cost: £2.50 second hand
Bought: eBay
When: 08/07/04
Colour: Black
Etching: Side B: "I no I tall person Elvis 77"
mp3s: no