Wednesday 2 July 2014

Pulled Apart By Horses - Live at Leeds


I don't listen to Pulled Apart By Horses enough. In fact, it's quite a rare occasion that I play this record, although that's mostly because the plain brown sleeve hides itself in my record collection. That said, every time I do play it, I'm amazed at how well I remember the songs either from the record or from the handful of times I've seen them live. Somehow, despite quite liking the band and this record, I've never got round to buying any of their albums. Shocking apathy on my behalf really.

This live mini-album is their Record Store Day release from 2010, the year before it became a thing for every band ever to release an RSD record. I'd gone to Spillers in Cardiff that year (and only bought regular-release albums) but went to Banquet a couple of weeks later. They had a few copies of this record left over, so I picked one up. The fact it was an RSD release was by-the-by, for £7 it seemed rude not too. I don't think I'd seen the band at this point, but I knew the name (or did I know the name because I'd seen them?).

Anyway, it's a pretty great live recording. Pulled Apart By Horses have some very catchy tunes, often hidden between walls of noise. The opener High Five, Swan Dive, Nose Dive has a huge chorus, goes mental for a few minutes, then brings it back together just long enough for one more chorus. E=MC Hammer is another great song. Generally, they remind me of how The Computers could have sounded if they'd had a few more chaotic metal-influences and a few less 50's ones. It's a pretty nice package too, including a photocopy of the setlist and a printed photo (which is more amusing than it should be - I like the idea of them getting a couple of hundred prints and sticking them in with each record). Anyway, good stuff. I should play it more often.

Format: 12", a4 insert, photo
Tracks: 8
Cost: £7 new
Bought: Banquet Records
When: 03/05/10
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no