Thursday 20 August 2015

Bruce Springsteen - American Beauty


Everyone eventually becomes a Bruce Springsteen fan. I didn't see it happening, but here I am writing about a Springsteen RSD 12". When I wrote about Born to Run on here a few years ago, I didn't see myself as the sort of guy who'd buy a record like this, but even throughout that one blog post I could see myself becoming more of a fan. I did buy a Best-Of and I have since bought more LPs too. I've been thinking for a while "wouldn't it be great to have all of his back-catalogue on vinyl". The Springsteen-fan ship has sailed, and it seems that I'm on it.

Record Store Day 2014 and I'd just moved to Oxford. My friend Hugh was visiting and we went to Truck together at an ungodly hour. I spent a lot, he spent a lot; I bought an incredible Songs:Ohia boxset, he bought a Cave In record he was very excited about and we both bought a copy of this EP. It was only a tenner, which is a bargain as far as RSD goes. I didn't need the record but kinda wanted it anyway. It didn't take much convincing.

The title track is pretty strong, as is Hurry Up Sundown. Mary Mary didn't do much for me but Hey Blue Eyes makes up for it (it feels like the song that Mary Mary should have been). It's not a record I've played very regularly over the last year, but it is nice.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 4
Cost: £10 new
Bought: Truck Store
When: 19/04/14
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no