Saturday 15 August 2015

The Computers - Live & Inconsolable


The Computers aren't very similar to the band they were when I started listening to them. The change felt quite gradual from live show to live show; Al became an increasingly charismatic front man and the rock 'n' roll vibe started seeping through. On record, however, there is a huge difference between how they sound on This Is The Computers and how they sound on the follow up, Love Triangles Hate Squares. Without the context of the live shows it would have been quite a shock.

This double live album was recorded in their home town of Exeter some months after their second album came out and it is The Computers in full-on rock 'n' roll mode. Captured is plenty of Al's on-stage (and often off-stage/in-the-crowd) rants and a lot of energy. Maybe it's because I've lost count of how many times I've seen The Computers, but I can picture this concert very easily. The setlist comprises almost every song on their second album, only Music is Dead from the first and nothing at from the EP that got me into them. I've come to terms with the fact that they'll probably never play those older songs live again - they fit less well with the rock 'n' roll version of the band. I enjoy the new songs too, so I'm not too annoyed.

Live & Inconsolable is a fun album and captures their strong live show well. I picked up my copy a few days after Record Store Day when passing through Banquet Records. Truck hadn't got any copies in but I knew Banquet would. At £24 it was quite pricey and, personally, I would have preferred a cover/sleeve to the transparent sleeve it came in. Sure, the records are both nice colours, but unless it's a picture disc I don't see the need for a clear sleeve. Judging by the pictures on the labels there clearly some great shots of the band that night. Each one is individually numbered and mine is 333 (Banquet had quite a few copies so I picked the best number available).

Format: Double 12", numbered (333/500)
Tracks: 14
Cost: £24 new
Bought: Banquet Records
When: 21/04/14
Colour: Light blue and burgundy
Etching: none
mp3s: no