Sunday 13 December 2015

Manic Street Preachers - Tsunami


Remixes. I still believe that indie music doesn't lend itself to being remixed as well as people like to think it does. The Manics were pretty keen on remixes throughout their career, but especially so at their peak in the late 90's. The bonus disc of their first Greatest Hits album was entirely remixes, mostly from the last two albums. They were good at getting some pretty big names, but rarely did I feel they added much. But maybe I'm not the target audience.

This 12" contains two remixes of Tsunami, one by Cornelius and the other by Stereolab (with a bonus instrumental version of the Cornelius remix). I think it originally came with a sticker over the top of the sleeve, sealing the record in, although my copy neither has one, nor any signs that it ever was there. I picked the 12" up on eBay during a period when I was pretty addicted to eBay. I already had the songs on the cd single and the Greatest Hits album, but it was another record for the collection and a reasonable price. I probably listened to it a few times back then, filed it away and neglected it until today. They're fine remixes, but the original was never one of my favourite songs and I can't say either version offers much more for me.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 3
Cost: £7 second hand
Bought: eBay
When: 13/02/03
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no