Saturday 14 May 2016

Tellison - The Wages of Fear


I've had quite inconsistent feelings about Tellison. I've seen them live four times now and I've really enjoy seeing them each time. After the second time (supporting Kevin Devine in the All Saint's Church in Kingston) I decided I should get one of their albums, and went for The Wages of Fear, which I think was the newest at the time. I remember feeling a little underwhelmed upon listening to it and it didn't get many plays at the time (hindered by my belief that it didn't come with mp3s - clearly my observation skills let me down because I failed to notice the sticker or download card until the other week).

A few weeks ago they played in Oxford with Muncie Girls; Oxford gets so few good shows you have to go to them all, so I popped along. In the run up to the show, I listened to the album a few more times and streamed their other ones. The show was great and I had their songs stuck in my head for days afterwards. Last Saturday they played the Deadpunk all-dayer in Bristol and I was really excited about seeing them. They are a great live band.

Despite quite liking the songs, and having seen them live enough times to remember how good they are there, I still struggle with the album. I think it's due to the way the band boarders on the indie side of indie-rock which causes issues for me - there's a poppy element to indie that has never sat well with me and that comes across as sometimes a little twee in these songs. I know they're punk-rock songs - I've heard them that way - but on the record they're just a bit flatter and less exciting. I get a similar feeling from Tellison as I do from Biffy Clyro, who are also much more exciting live but I don't often listen to on record. The songs here are undeniably catchy - I will have the choruses of Say Silence (Heaven & Earth), Horses and Letters From Pre-Med in my head for days. Get On and Freud Links the Teeth and the Heart are two more I love hearing live.

Having seen them twice recently, I feel I should make more of an effort to seek out their other albums.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 12
Cost: £8 new
Bought: gig
When: 05/08/14
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code