Monday 23 May 2016

The Offspring - Smash


Everyone has a copy of this album, don't they. It's an album that everyone knows backwards. The cool thing about Smash though is that creates instant good-times. I was driving with a colleague who got very excited to find this on my iPod - the next 40 minutes were far more fun than driving around the M25 should be. God knows that Bad Habit is a dangerous song to drive to, not just for the sentiment but also for the loss of concentration whilst everyone tries to remember the order of the swear words to sing along to the break.

Smash has so many huge songs - Nitro, Bad Habit, Genocide, Come Out and Play, Self Esteem, Not the OneSmash; that's a lot of highlights. The intro even deserves calling out for setting the scene so well.

I picked this album up along with a huge haul of records from Selectadisc Nottingham on my first visit there. I had found so many albums I wanted (and mostly at bargain prices) I found I was having to put some back because my arms were hurting. Smash made the cut - I knew it was a classic and an album I'd love to have in my collection. I had a few other Offspring albums on cd and had listened to Smash at various friend's houses over the years but didn't have a copy anywhere. I paid £5 for this, which is a bargain by anyone's measure.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 14
Cost: £5 new
Bought: Selectadisc, Nottingham
When: 20/02/03
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no