Tuesday 15 November 2016

Thursday - War All the Time


War All the Time was the beginning of the turn against Thursday for a lot of people I knew. They'd blown us away on Full Collapse and Five Stories Falling but I remember everyone disliking War All the Time. I think the general thinking was it was too polished and smooth; one acquaintance particularly hated the single Signals Over the Air with quite some passion.

Whilst it didn't grab me as much as Full Collapse, I still thought War All the Time was a great album. I concede that it's smoother in places, but that kinda works for Thursday - they didn't need to be the heaviest band in that genre for me. What War All the Time showed was that they could write great songs without them needing to be overly-shouty screamo/post-hardcore. And those moments were still there - Division St. could have fit just as easily onto Full Collapse as it does here. The piano-led This Song Brought to You by a Falling Bomb would sound thoroughly out-of-place on any earlier album but works beautifully here. Other highlights include For the Workforce, Drowning and Asleep in the Chapel and the title track in particular. As an aside, I had a Thursday t-shirt with some artwork for For the Workforce, Drowning which eventually became my running t-shirt. It almost soured a relationship before it even started because the girl in question thought less of me for being a Thursday fan (but she liked to think of herself as very cool - her Les Savy Fav t-shirt helped).

I got a copy of this album on cd for Christmas one year (the same year I got Waiting) and a few months later found this LP in Selectadisc in Nottingham for a very reasonable £10. I still listen to it a lot - it has a lot of fond memories for me.

Format: 12", booklet
Tracks: 11
Cost: £10 new
Bought: Selectadisc, Nottingham
When: 15/03/04
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no