Sunday 15 January 2017

Bangers - Crazy Fucking Dreams


A couple of year ago I read an article on the BBC news website that introduced me to the concept of a "gnomic utterance" - a short phrase that is hard to understand but seems wise. For years I'd felt that way about a lot of Bangers' lyrics but never knew there was a defined notion for such a thing. Case in point is Blind Hindsight, the second song and "single" from Bangers' second album - "Do you remember when we invented nostalgia? / What solid proof that the past was really better when there's a word for the feeling". It's such a prominent line in the song and I've spent far too long wondering about whether it's really clever, or just confusing, or maybe I've misunderstood it. I've spent far too long thinking about it in general. I love that it has continued to have such an effect on me over the years.

The same concept feels to come up throughout Crazy Fucking Dreams - most lyrics if you give them a second thought tread that fine line being confusing or genius. If I had to say what the biggest change from their (excellent) debut album was, it would probably be that Roo's lyrics are far deeper (or, at least, appear that way). Musically, it's just what I'd come to expect and love about Bangers - tight, interesting punk-rock songs. This album came out over three years ago, and I bought it fairly soon afterwards. I've seen the band what feels like countless times over those years and these songs have all become live favourites.

Bangers decided to break up last year and I, along with many others, was really saddened by the news. Over the years they were together they put out some of the most enjoyable British punk records and were always a great band to see live. I'm still upset about it, to be honest. I love listening to all their albums, but now it's with an extra bit of sadness.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 10
Cost: £13 new
Bought: Banquet Records, Kingston
When: 25/01/14
Colour: Black
Etching: None
mp3s: no