Wednesday 18 January 2017

Black Flag - Damaged


Every genre has records that are essential; the ones that everyone has in their collection. If you're a fan of hardcore, Damaged is surely one of those records. Everything about it is legendary and classic and all those words.

My introduction to Black Flag was roundabout - I first heard of Henry Rollins on the pivotal Kerrang! free cd The Devil's Music Vol. 1 (a cd that introduced me to so many bands) - the cd included Rollins' Illumination from the recent Get Some Go Again album, which I eventually bought when I found it on sale in Southampton. Some time later, I bought Rise Above - the compilation album of Black Flag covers to help the West Memphis Three. The list of artists appearing on it was incredible, so I wanted to hear it. Not only did it introduce me to 20+ Black Flag songs, it introduced me to the all-important genre of "Black Flag covers" - I have more Black Flag covers in my collection than actual Black Flag songs; I've also seen countless bands try them live. It's a punk staple.

Two years later, I got The First Four Years (on a friend's recommendation) and My War (having read good things about it and thinking it could be a good starting point for the band proper). Finally, another two years later, I bought Damaged in Spillers. It took me seven years to get around to buying them album most people would have started with.

Having spent years listening to Black Flag covers - including the notable and strange Dirty Projectors' album where Dave Longstreth re-imagines the album from memory (to odd results) - there were very few surprises to be had in hearing Damaged. I knew almost all of the songs in some form, and had a very good idea of how they'd sound. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, so Damaged should feel very flattered indeed. Some of the songs are far more enjoyable here than I expected - Depression is far more intense than I could have imagined, for example. The second side has a few songs that haven't been routinely covered throughout my record collection, which are good to hear (although you wonder if there's a reason they haven't been covered much). They also seem to be the ones that bridge the gap more closely between The First Four Years and My War, two albums that are otherwise very different. I like them, but the first side is where the album really shines.

I don't consider myself a huge fan of Black Flag - my collection is far from complete, but I'm content with the albums I have and sometimes it's just nice to play Damaged and enjoy the astounding significance of the album.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 15
Cost: £9.50 new
Bought: Spillers Records, Cardiff
When: 25/03/08
Colour: Black
Etching: Side A: "Comin at ya - the neolithic gelatinous think" Side B: "Sizzled that neo-orthodoxy into my, uh,... aaah,... what the hell!"
mp3s: no