Sunday 26 March 2017

Failures' Union - Sinker


I started this blog over four years ago and the very first record I wrote about was In What Way by Failures' Union. In the four years between now and then I've written about over 400 records I own, which on one hand is very pleasing, but on the other quite daunting, as I know I have many more to go and increasingly less time in my day. Still, it's about time I wrote about Failures' Union's first album, Sinker.

About a year after I saw Failures' Union in Kingston I bought Sinker in Banquet. The sticker that's still on the plastic sleeve says £8 but I actually paid even less than that as I had a voucher to use as the result of a full-stamped loyalty card.

These days I enjoy both In What Way and Sinker quite equally. It doesn't help that I have mp3s for neither, so they don't get as much play as I'd like. The result is that when I have a craving for Failures' Union I pick one of these two quite arbitrarily and get a very similar enjoyment. There are certainly moments on Sinker I look forward to - like the pairing of Watch the Sky and Independence Blues. Useless Facts, Classic Car Wreck and the slow Carry It Well are great too.

I hadn't realised that Failures' Union had since released a third album; I should pick a copy up.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 16
Cost: £5 new
Bought: Banquet Records, Kingston
When: 17/01/11
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no