Sunday 2 April 2017

Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists


Like all good collectors, I have many copies of Generation Terrorists - the regular cd, the Japanese cd, the Japanese cd version of the single-LP US version, the double picture disc, the 20th anniversary boxset and the cassette. However, there's always room for more, so here is the original double LP.

I went to Truck Store on it's sixth birthday, which also happened to be the 25th anniversary of the release of Generation Terrorists. I rarely browse the second-hand records there as I tend to prefer new albums and because whenever I do there's nothing I really want. However, on that Friday I thought I'd have a browse and, by some strange coincidence, the rack on the left was open such the only record not leaning forwards was a copy of Generation Terrorists. It was £35 and in reasonable condition - the sleeve has had some wear over the 25 years, but the vinyl is perfect. A previous owner had very greasy fingers, as there are fingerprints all over the cover, but the picture sleeves are still like new despite their age and how thin they are. I thought about it for a little bit, then decided I was ridiculous to even consider not buying it (new LPs are nearly £30 these days, so it was a good price) and took it to the counter.

A while ago, I read about the first pressings of Generation Terrorists, which had a sample from A Streetcar Named Desire at the start of Little Baby Nothing so I quickly checked all my copies, with no luck. I made a mental note to track down a copy one day, but figured it would be difficult without actually listening to older looking copies. When I bought this LP, I hoped it might be from the first pressing, but didn't hold out much hope - the sticker on the cover suggested that a lot of the songs had been released as singles, so I figured it was from later in time.

You can then only imagine my amazement when Love's Sweet Exile finished and these voices I'd never heard before appeared. It's funny to finally hear the song as was originally intended so many years later, after so many listens. I know it's only a sample, but can you imagine hearing The Holy Bible without all the samples and quotes? They become a huge part of the album, so it was great to hear this version. Looking at the grooves on the record, you can see where the sample plays, so I think I'd have a good chance of spotting it again in the future. Of course, I need to hunt down a cd version too, which might be harder.

I've written about Generation Terrorists twice before (see the links above), so there's little to add here. I knew it was the 25th anniversary when I bought the album, because I'd seen something about it on Twitter that morning. I'd had a craving to listen to it all day, so it was rather fitting that I'd buy another copy at lunchtime. I love how much enjoyment the Manics have given me from their albums.

Format: Double 12", gatefold sleeve, picture sleeves
Tracks: 18
Cost: £35 second hand
Bought: Truck Store, Oxford
When: 10/02/17
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no