Saturday 17 June 2017

Manic Street Preachers - Revol


I get the bus to work, which is basically dead time. One morning I decided to use my time more efficiently and try to fill in some holes in my record collection by getting back into eBay. I downloaded the app, browsed a bunch of records, put in a few small bids on some Manics records I didn't have, then pretty much forgot all about that plan. A few days later, I got a series of emails saying I'd won a few items, which was a pleasant surprise. I don't really remember making most of the bids, but I was happy with the prices and glad to add them to the collection.

One such purchase was this 10" single of Revol (#710). I have the Part 1 of the cd, which I paid £15 for in a record shop in Reading in 2002. The band released a bunch of two-part cd singles back in the 90's with these funny double cd-cases (or rather, Part 1 had the funny case to store Part 2), which was part of the appeal. The 10" has the exact same four songs as the cd I have.

Revol is a classic from The Holy Bible. For whatever reason (perhaps because the record is 20 years old), it sounds terrible; I was worried my needle had broken, it's so bad. Too Cold Here sounds clearer and is a nice b-side from the era - it reminds me a bit of Bored Out of My Mind, the b-side to Motorcycle Emptiness in that it's a quiet little song and unlike many that made it onto any album. I guess they share that they're curious additions to the band's back-catalogue that show a different side. I have a few copies of the Heavenly version of You Love Us and here is yet another. Finally we get a live recording of Life Becoming a Landslide from Bangkok in Thailand. It's nice to hear the songs from Gold Against the Soul live, because I love that album and they rarely play anything from it, sadly.

Format: 10", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 4
Cost: £13.80 second hand
Bought: eBay
When: 13/04/17
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no