Saturday 3 June 2017

Pitch Shifter - Submit


There was a while (a long time ago) when I thought I might try to get a complete collection of Pitch Shifter records, but I never really put that much effort in and the idea kinda fell away. Shortly after starting university, I found this 12" in a second hand record shop in Manchester for a bargain £4. I'd recently bought Desensitized on vinyl on eBay, so it was almost a sign to begin a collection (of course, their later albums never got pressed on vinyl, so it would have been annoyingly incomplete).

I'd not heard Submit before, but was familiar with their heavier earlier sound from Industrial. It wasn't the Pitch Shifter I'd become a fan of, but I enjoyed it for seeing their roots. Now I'm much older, Desensitized might actually be the sweet spot - I've come round to Industrial in recent years, but it's still hard work. Songs like Triad and Diable are the right mix of accessible and heavy. Interestingly, Deconstruction here feels like the missing step between those first two albums - the first hint of vocals that weren't strictly growled. It's nice to hear (versions of) Bastardiser and New Flesh P.S.I. from the Death Industrial 7" - back in the day I remember that 7" used to sell for a lot more than it seems to now.

The etching in the run-out groove tells the listener to "buy the cd for Silo", a hidden song that appears after Tendrill. 14 years after buying the 12", I haven't bought the cd so still haven't heard Silo. Maybe someday I'll spend a few £ and get a copy. It's not at the top of my priorities mind you.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 6
Cost: £4 second hand
Bought: Manchester
When: 15/11/03
Colour: Black
Etching: Side A: "A fat wallet production" Side B: "Buy the cd for 'Silo'"
mp3s: no