Wednesday 30 May 2018

Hot Snakes - Suicide Invoice


There are a handful of records that I started writing about months or even years ago but I just can't find anything interesting to say about (although some might say that hasn't stopped me before). A lot of them are perfectly good records by really great bands that I get a lot of enjoyment from. I think everyone would agree that Hot Snakes are an incredible band who have released four almost equally brilliant albums (three when I started writing this). I've seen them a bunch of times now and always have an excellent time. They're also all in a load of other really good bands and collectively release consistently great music. I've already run out of positive adjectives.

So what else is there to say? If I had to pick a favourite Hot Snakes album I'd probably have to say Audit in Progress, but that's because it was the first one I bought and it had two years extra listening over this one. Also I've never had mp3s of this album, so haven't really been able to give it the time it deserves. That said, if you were to quiz me on which album any given Hot Snake song belonged to (bar a couple of big hitters) I'd really struggle - that's because they've released remarkably consistently good albums; their sound hasn't changed dramatically, and that's a good thing.

There are a few of the aforementioned "big hitters" here - I Hate the KidsXOXLAX and the title-track have always been memorable and fun live. I bought this record for a bargain $12 in Arrow's Aim Records in Florida; it still has the sticker on the sleeve. There's not even an interesting reason for keeping it there.

There you have it. This record is much more enjoyable than I can make it sound and I apologise for the bad job I've done convincing you so.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 12
Cost: £8.40 new
Bought: Arrow's Aim, Gainesville
When: 04/11/13
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no