Sunday 10 June 2018

Caves - Betterment


I've got a lot of time for Caves, which means it's unfortunate that they make such short records. Betterment was the second of the four LPs they put out and a brilliant follow up to Homeward Bound. From the off, the "woah"s and "oh"s are there and it keeps the momentum throughout. Work has possibly one of their best choruses, the combination of Lou and Minto vocals on Rubino makes it even more frantic. Betterment deserves a particular call-out for being an unexpected acoustic song that is wonderfully bare and strangely uplifting, despite the lyrical content; almost like a turning point. 

All in all, it's a great Caves record, but I enjoy all of them really - they were a remarkably consistent band - they did what they did and they did it well. If you quizzed me on which Caves song was on which album, I'd struggle for the most part, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Betterment represented a subtle improvement on Homeward Bound in a few ways, but I can't fault either. Like I said, consistent and consistently great.

I can't remember exactly when that year this album came out, but I got a copy for my birthday from my brother - he usually has a budget of a tenner, so I have to keep certain records in mind for ideas for him. I happened to be at my sister and brother-in-law's house when my brother gave it to me (in fact, my sister, my dad and I were running the Birmingham half-marathon the next morning - it's all coming back to me now). Turned out my brother-in-law is friends with Dave, the Caves drummer, which was unexpected. Nice milky/clear vinyl.

Format: 12", a4 insert
Tracks: 10
Cost: £0 new
Bought: Gift
When: 19/10/13
Colour: Clear
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code