Sunday 11 November 2018

Cloakroom - Further Out


I saw Cloakroom supporting Russian Circles last March. I'd never heard of them before the show, but we got down early to check them out. When I saw they were supporting, I commented to Sarah that they had a shit name, a comment I stand by.

Over the course of their half-an-hour set I became a fan, despite the name. At first I wasn't sure what to make of the mixture of doom with upbeat riffs and incredibly clean vocals. After a few songs I'd decided that they sounded like a cross between the Smashing Pumpkins and Electric Wizard, two bands I absolutely adore. The more I thought about this, the more I realised that a combination of those two bands was surely the most "me" music there could be. As they started their final song, I realised there was one box left to tick, and they were firmly ticking it by playing Farewell Transmission - a doom metal Pumpkins playing Molina songs - that's the most "me" music. As they playing those opening few notes that I've listened to so many times, I looked around in disbelief that they were about to cover Songs: Ohia to a metal crowd and spent the next six minutes just absorbing how happy that combination made me feel. There were a handful of other people in the room also loving it and had we been stood closer I would have loved to have spoken to them - I suspect we'd have a lot in common.

I didn't buy this album that night though. The weather was foul and I'd have to get a record home in the pissing March rain. On top of that, I was worried that I might not like them on record - I wasn't sure how such a sound would work in the studio. The gig was a Sunday, and the Monday morning the first thing I did when I got into the office was open up their Bandcamp and give the album a play. I think within the first few seconds of Paper Weight I was sold - there's a huge riff hidden in fuzz that clears to some soaring vocals and I love it. I spent the morning telling the small handful of people I knew who liked heavy music (and my two Molina friends) that I'd found a doom-Pumpkins who covered Molina and they should all check them out. I don't know if anyone got into them, but I guess that's always going to be unlikely when a band is so very your niche.

As an aside, I heard someone once describe them as a doom-metal Hum, which I can totally see as well, and is a further reason I think this band is just working with all my favourite influences. I also just noticed that the album was recorded at Earth Analog, Matt from Hum provides extra vocals and guitars and that they have a b-side with Matt singing on it, which is something I need to check out in earnest. The etching on the run-off groove of sides A and D say "Welcome to 1979", which I sincerely hope is a Pumpkins reference.

I quickly went online and ordered a copy from the Run For Cover Records webstore. The opener is huge, and Moon Funeral is pure doom with vocals so slow you wonder if it's meant to be played at 45rpm (except they wouldn't sound that clear if it was). Strangely, Clean Moon follows a few songs later, which is the simple acoustic version of the same song (why not have both versions on the album?). Asymmetrical is great too, and a slower song that builds to a tastefully and appropriately muted peak. Deep Sea Station is brilliant and the drums are crisp and just right in the mix to carry the song. Side D is an unlisted song (Discogs refers to it as the infinity symbol, not to be confused with the EP they released called Infinity, I assume) and is a fairly mesmerising riff that repeats for a good while (and sounds familiar - is it from one of the songs? I should really be able to tell). It ends with a locked groove of the riff, but it's not as well timed as Cntrl-Alt_Delete-U where the length of the locked groove and music match perfectly.

I'm glad I stumbled across this band when I did. I'm not sure they would have crossed my path again in the year-and-a-half that's passed since and I would have been missing out for sure.

Format: Double 12", picture sleeves, die-cut sleeve
Tracks: 10
Cost: £22 new
Bought: Run For Cover website
When: 03/04/17
Colour: Translucent green
Etching: Side A: "Welcome to 1979", Side B: "Get sprayed", Side C: "Through the Sarsen door", Side D: "Welcome to 1979", "X * Y"
mp3s: Download code