Friday 9 November 2018

Pinback - Information Received, Pt. B


I'm not very sure why I bought this. Actually, that's a lie, I bought it because it was £3 down from £7 in a pile of post-RSD reductions in Banquet and I'm a sucker for a bargain.

I have one Pinback album - Summer in Abaddon - a similar bargain in that it cost £3 second hand in Soho, although for a whole album. I knew the name because Rob Crow had been involved with Team Sleep but don't think I'd actually heard any of their music before buying the cd. It's a nice enough album, but I'm not a huge fan. There are bits I like, but I struggle with his voice. The same goes for the songs on this 7" - True North is a really interesting song and the guitars in the break sound great, but I don't like his style of singing. I imagine his style and voice are so fundamental in the band that it's obscene to say such a thing, but with a different singer there's a good chance I'd be all over this. But I'm not. The b-side CLOAD "Q" is a bit more upbeat but, of course, suffers in the same way. There's a third song on a separate groove at the end of the second side, but it's just a high-pitched squeal, unless I'm missing something? Seems like a strange addition.

As is often the case with records on Temporary Residence, the packaging here is lovely, albeit slightly annoying: you have to cut through the sealed brown paper bag to get the 7" (I did a reasonable job of not making a mess), but there's also a fold-out sleeve and lyrics sheet.

Format: 7", sealed brown-paper bag, insert, gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 3
Cost: £3 new
Bought: Banquet Records, Kingston
When: 24/05/14
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code