Tuesday 18 December 2018

Quicksand - Quicksand


I bought this record a long time after I probably should have. There was a RSD pressing of it some time before which I didn't buy at the time - RSD 7" records were getting pricey and I was already spending way too much. I suspect it was £7, which is what I ended up paying for this record a few years later. I understand inflation, but have such fond memories of 7"s costing £1 or £2 that it's hard to bring myself to pay £7 for a 7".

All that said, Quicksand are a band worth spending £7 on, and I'm glad I finally bought a copy of this 7". The versions of Omission and Unfulfilled are both fun and sufficiently different to the versions on Slip - it sounds like Walter is having fun with his vocals and hasn't always decided how he's going to sing it before it comes out. Clean Slate is a classic chuggy Quicksand song and Hypno Jam with Dan is a short but interesting instrumental with a very unexpected (but very welcome) trumpet.

I don't know why I finally bought this last March. I'd been in London for an interview that had been long and draining and slightly soul-destroying, but conveniently near All Ages. I don't get to shop there as often as I'd like, so it was nice to get to spend some good time in there. They have so many 7"s that it's a little daunting to start browsing - maybe that was why I bought it - I'd invested so much time in browsing all the 7"s that I felt like I had to buy something in there.

Anyway, an essential purchase for any Quicksand fan and one I should have bought years ago.

Format: 7", insert
Tracks: 4
Cost: £7 new
Bought: All Ages Records, London
When: 24/03/17
Colour: Red
Etching: Side A: "On a secret mission" Side B: "To cstraat"
mp3s: None