Tuesday 23 April 2019

Calvinball - Last Orders


Despite Calvinball firmly being a part of the UK punk scene for a while before I began to get into it, they very nearly passed me by. I've never quite worked out why that was - it's quite possible that they just never played South Wales when I was about. The first time I saw them was at K-Fest in Kingston nearly two years after I'd left Cardiff. They really came into their own for me on the split record they did with ONSIND and Apologies, I Have None - I really enjoyed their cover of ONSIND's Heterosexuality is a Construct and think it works as well as a gruff-punk song as it does an acoustic recording. I'd been a fan of ONSIND since also seeing them at K-Fest, so it was great to hear how Calvinball reimagined that song. I've seen them play at least two "last ever" shows, including one at Fest, which I remember being really impressive. They're a great band and I'm glad they didn't pass me by - it would have been a huge loss.

Around the time they were breaking up (one of the times) they were selling off the last of their records and I decided to finally pick up a copy of their only actual LP, Last Orders. I think the cassette compilation, The Adventures Of..., had just sold out on their website, but I found a copy of that on another distro about a month later. Between the two releases they cover everything Calvinball ever recorded, and I'd say both are essential parts of any collection. This album alone is great, but songs like Goodnight Sweet Prince and Brighter Lights shouldn't be ignored for not being on an album.

The band are at their best when the songs gradually explode into layers of gruff vocals and heavy guitars, as they frequently do - The Lost City of Atlanta, #OystonOut and No More Half Measures are all fine examples of that. My favourite has always been the closer, Ron Swansong, and not just for the comedy title; it's a fine way to finish a record they intended to be their last.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 11
Cost: £9.76 new
Bought: Band website
When: 03/02/14
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: none