Monday 1 April 2019

Elway + The Magnificent - Split


I always meant to complete at least one series of the All in Vinyl split series 7"s, but haven't yet. I have quite a few from the first two series but never got round to seeking out the rest. I often see them in All Ages still, but there are always more pressing purchases.

I bought this record because I was getting into The Magnificent so wanted to hear more. 1990 was one of the songs that Jimmy recorded a solo version of for the four-way split with Chuck Ragan, Sam Russo and Helen Chambers. It was also one of the highlights, so I was keen to hear another version of it (it was also on Bad Lucky). The chorus is huge and crazy-catchy, and the trade-off between the male and females vocals at the end is perfect. Their second song is a cover of A Song for the Helenas by The Bomb. I didn't read the sleeve the first few times I played it, so assumed it was an original. The sleeve recommends buying Speed is Everything and I did have a listen after I read that, but didn't care for them much. I'd go so far as to say I prefer The Magnificent cover, which might be an unpopular opinion.

Elway are pretty enjoyable too - they remind of the Riverboat Gamblers, a band I briefly enjoyed on a Daytrotter Session, but never properly got into. Actually, these Elway songs are really good. I probably should have checked them out six years ago when I bought this. Better late than never I suppose.

Format: 7", insert
Tracks: 4
Cost: £4 new
Bought: Banquet Records, Kingston
When: 11/09/12
Colour: Clear
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code