Thursday 20 September 2012

Chuck Ragan + Brian Fallon - Gospel Songs



This is a nice little record. I picked it up one day in Spillers along with a couple of other 7"s and the reissue of Young Team by Mogwai. I'd only gone in for the Mogwai cd but figured I'd browse the 7"s too (something I rarely did). It was the year after my Tuesday-record-from-Spillers year and I was definitely going in less, probably because I was still catching up with the wealth of new music I'd bought every Tuesday the year before (both musically and financially). Anyway, two songs: one from Chuck Ragan (of his own, and Hot Water Music fame) and one from Brian Fallon from The Gaslight Anthem.

I'm a big fan of Chuck and at some point I will make the time to appropriately gush about how awesome I think Feast or Famine is. His song here is one of my favourites and by far the best song on Gold Country, his second album that came out shortly after this single. It's a fantastically upbeat song, dotted with handclaps, backing vocals and group "la la la la"s; all things I love. The description on sleeve about how the song came to life is lovely too. I like songs about how great music is.

I missed the boat a little with The Gaslight Anthem but people seem pretty keen on them and they do have some catchy tunes. The song Brian contributes here is possibly a little too far on the country side of the folk/punk/country genre for my liking. Sometimes I feel a little too British to really get on board with music about America in the 50's and 60's. It's not a bad song at all, but compared to Glory's uplifting feel it does come across a little dull. Maybe I should play this one side B then side A.

Format: 7", cd-sized insert
Tracks: 2
Cost: £4 new
Bought: Spillers
When: 08/08/09
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no