Friday 21 September 2012

OK Pilot - Nerves



I can't remember the first time I saw OK Pilot. I'm reasonably sure I saw them before moving to London, and a quick Google of "OK Pilot South Wales Massive" brings up threads about a whole bunch of gigs I might've been at. I knew they were from Exeter and good friends with a lot of bands we knew in Cardiff but that was about it. Anyway, I definitely remember seeing them in The Peel after I moved and I enjoyed them greatly (so much so I wonder if maybe I hadn't seen them before). Shortly afterwards I picked up their 10" Nerves in Banquet (not realising at the time that two of them work there. A similar thing happened when I bought an album by Dave House).

It's a great EP and I fully recommend it. There are a lot of great punk bands in the UK at the moment, but what makes OK Pilot stand out is that they're somehow way more brutal than the others. I can't quite put my finger on it; kind of gruff-punk at the speed of hardcore with plenty of balls. Something that comes across even more in their live shows. My favourites both live and on vinyl are Mouth Full of Salt and Words of Encouragement. In fact the whole of side 2 is faultless. I hope they put out a full-length at some point.

Format: 10", insert
Tracks: 8
Cost: £9 new
Bought: Banquet Records
When: 18/03/11
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download