Monday 24 September 2012

William Elliott Whitmore - Field Songs


This is the most recent Will Whitmore album and, unsurprisingly, he's made another incredible record. I got Banquet to order this one in for me after spotting that they had his last album in stock. The overlap between the records I used to buy in Spillers and the records I now buy in Banquet may not be huge, but it at least includes Will Whitmore, so I'm happy.

I won't rant too long about how much time I have for this guy, but I really can't get enough of his music. This album is eight more great songs (never one to put too many songs on a record - short but sweet) and once again Will's voice is what carries the record. The banjo and guitars (and kick-drum on Don't Need It) are all brilliant but it's the raspy, older-than-his-years vocals that keeps me putting these records on.

The songs are sparse, often bleak and dark, but also subtly uplifting (just have a listen to Not Feeling Any Pain) and I can't recommend it enough.


Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 8
Cost: £15 new
Bought: Banquet
When: 31/08/11
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: cd